19 Jun Pros and Cons of Using a Mobile App as a Time Clock
Time is money. When it comes to managing payroll and other time-sensitive tasks, businesses need a reliable and easy-to-use system. But as with any new system, a few kinks need to be worked out before you can entirely rely on it. Businesses have used time clocks for more than a century. They’re the standard for tracking employees’ time to ensure they take breaks at the correct times and receive shifts in an organized manner. If you’re considering using a mobile app as a time clock, here are some pros and cons that you should consider before making your final decision.
What is a time clock?
A time clock is a system that employees use to record their time while working. This system is usually connected to a computer or mobile app programmed with the times each employee is scheduled to work. When an employee starts working, the time clock records how much time the employee spends on that project. One advantage of time clocks is that employees don’t have to think about when they should take their breaks. This saves time and prevents mistakes. Companies also use time clocks to monitor the time employees spend on projects so that managers can keep an eye on how much time each employee spends on the job.
How does a time clock app work?
There are different types of time clock apps. Some of them are set up so that employees tap a code into their phones as they enter the building. Other apps send notifications when an employee starts working, ends work, and takes breaks. Employees can input their code using a computer or smartphone, depending on the type of app they use. When they finish their shift or leave work, they tap the app to notify the system that they’re done. It then sends a notification to the managers to inform them that the employee is no longer working. The app can also be connected to a centralized time tracking system so that managers can keep track of how much time each employee is spending on each project.
What should you consider before using a time clock app?
Like any new system, time clock apps have some issues you need to be aware of. For example, many time clock apps have a limited number of uses. Some apps have a daily usage limit and don’t allow the same person to use them multiple times for one day. If this is an issue for your business, you can have employees sign an extension of the usage agreement at the beginning of the day. Another thing to keep in mind is the app’s user base size. If many of your employees are using the app but there are still problems, this may be a sign that the app is not working as well as it could be.
The pros of using a mobile app as a time clock
– Cost Savings – Using a mobile app as a time clock can be significantly cheaper than installing hardware and software systems. You’ll also be reducing the risk of a software failure that may require an expensive repair or even a system replacement.
– Flexibility – If your employees work in different locations, the physical time clocks in those locations may not accurately reflect the times they’re scheduled to work. On the other hand, a time clock app can track time remotely.
– Accuracy – A physical time clock can have a few issues in terms of accuracy. it can wear down over time, or the clock itself can malfunction. On the other hand, a time clock app is usually hardwired into a centralized system. This means it’s easier to maintain and doesn’t have the same issue as a physical time clock.
– Distributed Teams – One of the challenges that distributed teams face is the need to communicate when an employee is taking a break or when they should be in work. The same goes for when they’re finishing a shift. However, with a time clock app, all of this communication can take place through the app’s centralized system. Employees don’t have to rely on emails or text messages to update managers about their shifts or break times.
– Better Tracking – Another advantage of using a time clock app is that it makes it easier for managers to keep track of how much time each employee spends on each project. This can help prevent unnecessary bottlenecks and project delays.
The cons of using a time clock app
– Privacy Issues – Time clock apps collect a lot of data about how employees use them. This includes the time they start and end work, how long they take breaks, and how much they earn. Some apps, however, do not provide managers with this information.
– Limited Rollout – Some time clock apps are only available in specific industries like construction or health care. While this may help you find employees in these sectors, it may limit your hiring options.
– Time-Consuming – While a time clock app can help you manage your employees’ time more efficiently, it may also leave you with fewer free hours in your schedule. This may cause you to miss show dates or put important projects on hold.
At the end of the day, a time clock app is another tool that can help you manage employees’ time more efficiently. But before you start using one of these apps, you should consider the pros and cons. Your business may have different needs when it comes to time tracking than others. Keep these things in mind before making the final decision to use a time clock app.